Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Cornucopia of Color

I've been working on something really fun the last few days.  No moon glow at all.  I've just completely pushed that aside right now for a higher priority (and more fun) project.  My nephew is having his first baby and the shower is in two weeks so I had to get this one done quick.  The baby's name will be Sonny and immediate I knew I had to incorporate a big sunshine in this quilt.  They didn't really have much of theme and said their colors are hippie colors, which I take as bright and beautiful.  Then they said earthy. Hmmm, well, here's what I got, hippie colors and there are a couple of "earthy" ones in there too.








The center was paper pieced.  I used a sheet of wrapping paper as that's all I had that was big enough.  Not sure I would recommend wrapping paper to anyone, but hey it did the trick.  I drew 3 circles, marked the center and then just started drawing the rays.  No measuring, just doing what felt right.  They did have a lot of grey in their registry so I used grey rather than white as the back ground fabric.  On the outer border I embroidered a couple of the verses from Bobby Hebb's song "Sunny".   The circles are fusible applique.  Now to get the binding on.  I've got a long trip to IN so I'm going to try sewing the binding to the back by hand.  Should be interesting.  When I get back from IN, I'll get back to the Moon Glow quilt, only 3 blocks to go.   A couple of those lines look a bit too wobbly.  I had a hard time with a few of the long diagonal lines.  I'll decide on the car ride if I rip them out, or just wash it and hope for the best :)  Batting is hobbs 80/20,  Fil Tec Invisible thread on the top, magna glide in the bobbin.

Hope every one has a wonderful Thanksgiving

24 comments:

  1. What a fabulous accomplishment! (Lucky baby!) Happy Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness, that's just GORGEOUS - gobsmacking gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is one gorgeous quilt! And so much fun, too! Your quilting really sets the design off, too. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE it and they will too. THe little smiley face in the center is the perfect happy touch! LOVE LOVE your circle quilting incorporated at the end of each ray of sun. :)Happy THanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful. If the mom does not use it, it is her loss. The quilting is exquisite
    Aka kingcooper0001@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very beautiful. If the mom does not use it, it is her loss. The quilting is exquisite
    Aka kingcooper0001@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, that is just gorgeous! The quilting makes my toes tingle! That's gonna be one happy baby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's Beautiful in every Way! I Love It! Congratulations on an awesome finish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowie! This is like a burst of sunshine and it made my day. You might be seeing copies of it out there soon. too beautiful not to want to duplicate :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! What a lucky baby. In "hippie colors," too! Wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this quilt. I wish I had thought of it. I'd say these are hippie colours for sure..I love bright and was somewhat hippyish in my youth as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The is beautiful in so many ways. I love the colors that you've chosen and the quilting is phenomenal. This should be come an heirloom for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sue, that is just amazing!! What an awesome heirloom for that new baby!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilting is just so stunning! I visit often to see what you are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is one of those quilts that makes you GASP when you see it. Just GORGEOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow. I just can't stop looking at that. I love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous quilting! I always enjoy your posts. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Sue,

    That is such a colourful quilt - Sonny will have plenty to look at in the mornings! Fabulous quilting.
    Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks - Sonny's quilt is this week's featured project!

    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete
  19. My stars, how beautiful! Love your choice of colors and your quilting. Congrats on a wonderful piece!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This quilt is stunning! So creative and special!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, comments and questions welcome!